How can we manage STRESS?Oct 18, 2022
Yes, stress and anxiety are a normal part of life. Stress can happen because of many different reasons, such as a big change or uncertainty. It is a physical and mental response or reaction to a challenge – real or perceived. Stress can affect anyone at any time, and it can affect your body, mind, and behavior.
Most of the time, stress can sneak into our lives when we feel that we have little control of a situation. But you can . . .
Help your kids find solutions to control these situations.
Encourage your family to try some of these tension tamers as tools to manage stress:
- Listen to your favorite music; make a playlist.
- Read a book or comic book.
- Draw, paint, or color.
- Laugh or read a joke book.
- Be observant in the moment.
- Eat healthy and well-balanced meals.
- Make time for hobbies, crafts, puzzles, and board games.
- Get enough sleep.
- Seek out support. Spend time with friends or family that make you smile.
Practice these tension tamers with your family!
- Sit or stand in a relaxed position.
- Slowly inhale through your nose, counting to five in your head. Hold the breath for 1-2 seconds.
- Let the air out from your mouth, counting to five in your head as it leaves your lungs.
- Repeat several times. That’s it!
PROGRESSIVE MUSCLE RELAXATION
- After finding a quiet place and several free minutes to practice, sit or lie down and make yourself comfortable.
- Begin by tensing all the muscles in your face. Make a tight grimace, close your eyes as tightly as possible, clench your teeth, even move your ears up if you can. Hold this for the count of eight as you inhale.
- Now exhale and relax completely. Feel the tension sleep from your facial muscles and. Enjoy the feeling. Repeat one more time.
- Next, completely tense your neck and shoulders, again inhaling and counting to eight. Then exhale and relax. Repeat. Notice the difference in your body when you are tense then relaxed. Continue down the body finishing with the toes. Then, tense your whole body and relax it 2-3 times.
Get the KidShape Toolbox Newsletter
Get healthy recipes and family wellness tools delivered to your inbox! Sign up today and we will send you the KidShape Toolbox packed with resources to help build a healthier family.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.