Healthy Pumpkin Protein Bite RecipeOct 07, 2023
It’s that time of year – costumes, candy, and pumpkin-flavored everything. For kids, this is an exciting time of year!
And yet for those kids and adults trying to eat healthy, it’s a big challenge. Because what used to be one day (Halloween) of treats has turned into a month or more of sweet-filled events. Even pumpkin- which on its own is a very nutritious food- gets loaded down with sugar in muffins, pancakes, drinks, and more.
Balance the food, fun and activities this fall with a healthier pumpkin recipe that might just become a year-round favorite! It features real pumpkin and all the spices that make pumpkin so popular. And it’s one most kids could make on their own or with a little adult supervision. Encourage kids to get creative and turn these into different shapes, or even decorate them!
Pumpkin Protein Bites (or Bars)
- ½ cup peanut butter (all natural- no added sugar or oil)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup vanilla flavored protein powder
- 1/3 cup oat or almond flour
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut flour or coconut flakes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ salt (optional; add if using unsalted peanut butter)
1. In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients together until combined: protein powder, oat flour cinnamon, ginger, all spice, salt, coconut flour/flakes.
2. In a separate bowl, stir together peanut butter, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and vanilla until smooth.
3. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. If too sticky or wet, add another tablespoon of coconut or oat flour.
4. When mix is soft and easy to handle, roll into bite-sized balls or form into bars.
a. For bites: simply roll dough into balls, and place on a baking sheet or pan.
b. To make bars, press entire mix into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper; then spread evenly using a spatula.
5. Place in refrigerator for one hour or in the freezer for at least 20 minutes before eating. To make bars, cut into desired size and shape.
6. Store in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Or freeze, and thaw out for an hour before eating.
Get the KidShape Toolbox Newsletter
Get healthy recipes and family wellness tools delivered to your inbox! Sign up today and we will send you the KidShape Toolbox packed with resources to help build a healthier family.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.